Listen to Episode 67: Refrigerator Pickles
- 2 lbs cucumbers
- 1 c sweet onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 c distilled white vinegar
- 1 c sugar
- 2 Tbs pickling spice
- 1 Tbs pickling salt
- Wash and slice the cucumbers and onions.
- In a large pot, combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and pickling salt. Bring to a boil, make sure sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Turn heat down and let cool 3 minutes.
- Arrange 3 pint jars on counter and put 1/3 c sweet onions in each jar, layering with cucumbers. Pack firmly.
- Pour the brine into the jar, leaving approximately 1/2 inch headspace. Tap jars gently on countertop to dislodge any trapped air bubbles.
- Apply lids and let jars cool. When room temperature, place jars in refrigerator. Let sit at least 48 hours before eating.