Listen to Episode 67: Refrigerator Pickles
- 2 lbs cucumbers
- 1 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 c water
- 2 Tbs pickling salt
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tsp dill seed
- 1 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- Wash and slice the cucumbers.
- In a large pot, combine vinegar, water, and pickling salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Arrange 3 pint jars on counter and put 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper, 1 tsp dill seed, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, and 2 garlic cloves in each jar.
- Pack the cucumber slices tightly into the jars.
- Pour the brine into the jar, leaving approximately 1/2 inch headspace.
- Tap jars gently on countertop to dislodge any trapped air bubbles.
- Apply lids and let jars cool. When room temperature, place jars in refrigerator. Let sit at least 48 hours before eating.