Listen to Episode 84: Falagones With Rachel And Portia
- 10 c flour
- 1 c Crisco shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 c warm to hot tap water
- Blend the Crisco and salt into the flour as if making a pie crust
- Once the Crisco is blended into the flour, slowly add the water and mix until the dough is formed. The dough consistency should allow you to be able to roll each piece out with a rolling pin. Dough should be smooth and soft but not sticky.
- Cut the dough into 10 equal size pieces. Cover with a towel and let rest for a few minutes.
- Roll each piece into a 9-inch circle as if making a pie shell on a floured cutting board.
- 5 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and sliced into a bowl of cold water
- 4 c sweet onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into pieces (hot banana peppers can be added, if desired)
- 1 c oil
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 c grated parmesan and Romano cheese (mix 1/2 c of each)
- Make sure potatoes are drained from all the water. In a large bowl, mix all of the potato filling ingredients together, making sure all ingredients are well-blended.
- Put 2 c of potato mixture on half of the pie shell, allowing you to top the mixture with the other half of the pie shell. Once the mixture is covered, seal the falagone with your fingers or a fork ensuring there will be no leakage when baking.
- Vent the top of the falagone with a fork to allow venting while baking. Place on a greased baking tray. You should be able to fit 2 on a tray or 3 if the tray is larger.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour. The falagone will be golden brown when completed.