Listen to Episode 57: Brown Irish Soda Bread
- 4 c stone ground whole wheat pastry flour, lightened
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 14 oz buttermilk
- Dutch oven
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease the bottom of a Dutch oven.
- Pour lightened flour into large bowl.
- Lightening flour: do not scoop directly from the package with the measuring cup. Using a spoon, place flour into the measuring cup, without packing down. If you like, you can add it to the bowl through a sieve. Do not sift!
- Add baking soda through a sieve to break up chunks and distribute evenly, add salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Pour buttermilk into well and fold flour into buttermilk until well-blended. Don’t stir or knead.
- Form a round loaf and place in center of greased Dutch oven. Pat into shape and cut an X into top with the back of a knife.
- Put lid onto Dutch oven and bake at 425°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from Dutch oven and cool on wire rack. Serve warm with butter.