- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c butter, soft but not melted
- 32-oz bag powdered sugar
- In a big bowl, whip butter with a wooden spoon. Add vanilla and blend.
- Add half of the bag of powdered sugar. Blend and add 1 Tbs of milk at a time until smooth.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar, then milk 1 Tbs at a time until the icing is a nice spreading consistency. If it’s too thin, you can add more powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, add more milk.
- Divide icing into separate bowls to tint. If using liquid food coloring, make the icing a little thicker as the color will thin it.
- Decorate and let cookies sit on a rack for a while so icing can set up. It will get stiff on the outside but stay soft on the inside.